‘The Ten Essentials’ is a system approach to helping people be prepared for emergency situations in the outdoors. The system was originally a list created in the 1930s by The Mountaineers, a Seattle-based organization for climbers and outdoors adventurers.
I’ve created a printable mini-zine illustrating the ten essentials and some examples of typical items in each ‘essential’. This is a handy little guide that you can print out, fold into a zine, and stuff in your planning kit or backpack.
You can purchase the printable download for $3, HERE.
The Ten Essentials System List and some examples:
- Navigation – map, compass, gps
- Illumination – flashlight, headlight, candle
- Sun Protection – Sun Tan Lotion, Sun protective clothing, sunglasses
- First Aid – first aid kit, prescription medications
- Tools – knife, multi-tool, rope, duct-tape
- Fire – matches, lighter, fire-starter
- Shelter – space blanket, tarp, tent
- Insulation – hats, socks, gloves, packable jacket, rain gear
- Nutrition – protein, carbs, I always take an extra 2000 cals worth of goodies
- Hydration – water, water purification tablets, water filter, sports drink